Selected publications (below) from the core investigators of the center reflect the wide range of the center’s research capacity:
Laiteerapong N, Fairchild PC, Chou CH, Chin MH, Huang ES. Revisiting Disparities in Quality of Care Among US Adults With Diabetes in the Era of Individualized Care, NHANES 2007-2010. Med Care. 2015 Jan; 53(1):25-31.
- Laiteerapong N, Huang ES. The Pace of Change in Medical Practice and Health Policy: Collision or Coexistence? J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Jan 22.
- Grant RW, Huang ES, Wexler DJ, Laiteerapong N, Warton ME, Moffet HH, Karter AJ. Patients who self-monitor blood glucose and their unused testing results. American Journal of Managed Care. 2015 Feb 1; 21(2);e119-29.
- Karter AJ, Laiteerapong N, Chin MH, Moffet HH, Parker MM, Sudore R, Adams AS, Schillinger D, Adler NS, Whitmer RA, Piette JD, Huang ES. Ethnic Differences in Geriatric Conditions and Diabetes Complications Among Older, Insured Adults With Diabetes: The Diabetes and Aging Study. J Aging Health. 2015 Feb 5.
- Jain RK, Laiteerapong N. Strategies for Improving Cardiovascular Health in Women with Diabetes Mellitus: a Review of the Evidence. Current Diabetes Reports. 2015 November.
- Validating the Dasymetric Areal Interpolation Method to Inform Health Policy (Oral Presentation)
Chieko Maene, MS, MLIS, Roderick Jones, PhD, MPH, Emily Laflamme, MPH, Adam Pah, PhD, Nyahne Bergeron, MPH, Elbert S. Huang, MD, MPH and Monica E. Peek, MD, MPH https://apha.confex.com/apha/143am/webprogram/Paper332404.html
4310.0 Geospatial Epidemiology and Public Health
Tuesday, November 3, 2015: 2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m
- Community Fitness Passport Program: A culturally-tailored model for health promotion programming in population health management (Poster Presentation)
Nyahne Bergeron, MPH, Yue Gao, MPH, Daniel Rowell, BA and Monica E. Peek, MD, MPH
5022.2 Population Approaches to Public Health Education and Health Promotion
Wednesday, November 4, 2015: 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Nocon RS, Gao Y, Gunter KE, Jin J, Casalino LP, Quinn MT, Derrett S, Summerfelt WT, Huang ES, Lee SM, Chin MH. Associations between Medical Home Characteristics and Support for Patient Activation in the Safety Net: Understanding Differences by Race, Ethnicity, and Health Status. Medical Care. 2014; 52(11 s4): s48-55.
- Burnet D, Gunter KE, Nocon RS, Gao Y, Jin J, Fairchild P, Chin MH. Medical Home Characteristics and the Pediatric Patient Experience. Medical Care. 2014; 52(11 s4): s56-63.
- Derrett S, Gunter KE, Nocon RS, Quinn MT, Coleman K, Daniel D, Wagner EH, Chin MH. How Three Rural Safety Net Clinics Integrate Care for Patients: A Qualitative Case Study. Medical Care. 2014; 52(11 s4): s39-47.
- Nundy S, Lu CE, Hogan P, Mishra A, Peek ME. Using Patient-Generated Health Data From Mobile Technologies For Diabetes Self-Management Support: Provider Perspectives from an Academic Medical Center. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 2014; 8(1):74-82.
- Nundy S, Dick JJ, Chou CH, Nocon RS, Chin MH, Peek ME. Mobile phone diabetes project led to improved glycemic control and net savings for Chicago plan participants. Health Affairs (Millwood). 2014;33(2):265-72. PMCID: PMC4034376
- Clark BL, Hou J, Chou CH, Huang ES, Conti RM. The 340B discount program: outpatient prescription dispensing patterns through contract pharmacies in 2012. Health Affairs (Millwood). 2014;33(11):2012-7.
- Baig AA, Locklin C, Foley E, Ewigman B, Meltzer DO, Huang ES. The Association of English Ability and Glycemic Control among Latinos with Diabetes. Ethn Dis. 2014; 24(1):28-34.
- Laiteerapong N, Kirby J, Gao Y, Yu T, Sharma R, Nocon R, Lee SM, Chin MH, Nathan AG, Ngo-Metzger Q, Huang ES. Health Care Utilization and Receipt of Preventive Care for Patients Seen at Federally Funded Health Centers Compared to Other Sites of Primary Care. Health Services Research. 2014; 10.1111/1475-6773.12178.
- Mayeda ER, Karter AJ, Huang ES, Moffet HH, Haan MN, Whitmer RA. Racial/ethnic differences in dementia risk among older type 2 diabetes patients: The Diabetes and Aging Study. Diabetes Care. 2014; 37(4):1009-15.
- Huang ES, Laiteerapong N, Liu JY, John PM, Moffet HM, Karter, AJ. Rates of Complications and Mortality in Older Patients with Diabetes Mellitus: The Diabetes and Aging Study. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014; 174(2); 251-258.
- Young GH, Rickles NM, Chou CH, Raver E. Socioeconomic Characteristics of Enrollees Appear to Influence Performance Scores for Medicare Part D Contractors. Health Affairs. 2014; 33(1); 140-146.
- Chou CH, Tulolo A, Raver EW, Hsu CH, Young GJ. Effect of race and health insurance on health disparities: Results from the National Health Interview Survey 2010. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2013; 24 (3); 1353-1363. PMID: 23974404.
- Huang ES, John PM, Liu J, Moffet HH, Laiteerapong N, Karter AJ. Contemporary rates of complications and mortality in older diabetes patients: The Diabetes & Aging Study. JAMA Intern Med.July 2013.
- Gören JL, Meterko M, Williams S, Young GJ, Baker E, Chou CH, Kilbourne AM, Bauer MS. Antipsychotic prescribing pathways, polypharmacy and clozapine use in treatment of schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services. 2013; 64(6): 527-33.
- Peek ME, Gorawara-Bhat R, Quinn MT, Young AO, Wilson SC, Chin MH. Trust and shared decision-making among African-Americans with diabetes. Health Commun. 2013;28(6):616-23.
- Lee S, Karter AJ, Thai JN, Van Den Eeden S, Huang ES. Glycemic control and urinary incontinence in older women with diabetes. Journal of Women’s Health. 2013; 22(12):1049-55.
- Laiteerapong, N, John PM, Nathan A, Huang ES. Public Health Implications of Recommendations to Individualize Glycemic Targets. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(1):84-9.
- Peek ME, Kim K, Johnson J, Vela M. ‘URM candidates are encouraged to apply’: A national study of U.S. medical schools to identify effective strategies to enhance racial/ethnic diversity in academic medicine. Acad Med. 2013; 88(3):405-12.
- Young GJ, Chou CH, Alexander JA, Lee SY, Raver E. Provision of community benefits by tax-exempt U.S. hospitals. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013; 368(16):1519-27.
- Huang ES, Finegold K. Seven million americans live in areas where demand for primary care may exceed supply by more than 10 percent. Health Affairs. 2013; 32:3614-621.
- Laiteerapong N, Karter AJ, John PM, Schillinger D, Moffet HH, Liu JY, Adler N, Chin MH, Huang ES. Ethnic differences in quality of life in insured older adults with diabetes mellitus in an integrated delivery system. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2013; 61(7):1103-10.
- Baig AA, Locklin CA, Foley E, Ewigman B, Meltzer DO, Huang ES. The Association of English Ability and Glycemic Control among Latinos with Diabetes. In press at Ethnicity and Disease.
- Stutz M, Baig AA. International Examples of Undocumented Immigration and the ACA. J Immigr Minor Health. 2013 Apr 4. Epub ahead of print.
- Baig AA, Locklin C, Campbell A, Schaefer C, Heurer L, Solomon M, Quinn M, Vargas J, Burnet D, Chin MH. Community Health Center Access to Resources for their Patients with Diabetes. J Immigr Minor Health. 2013 Jan 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Laiteerapong N, John PM, Meltzer DO, Huang ES. Impact of delaying blood pressure control in patients with type-2 diabetes: results of a decision analysis. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2012; 27(6):640-6.
- Baig AA, Locklin CA, Wilkes AE, Oborski DD, Acevedo JC, Gorawara-Bhat R, Quinn MT, Burnet DL, Chin MH. “One Can Learn From Other People’s Experiences”: Latino Adults’ Preferences for Peer-Based Diabetes Interventions. Diabetes Educ. Diabetes Educ. 2012;Sep-Oct;38(5):733-41.
- Laiteerapong N, Iveniuk J, John PM, Laumann EO, Huang ES. Classifying older adults with diabetes in the United States by comorbid diseases. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012;9:E100.
- Nocon RS, Sharma R, Birnberg JM, Ngo-Metzger Q, Lee SM, Chin MH. Association between patient-centered medical home rating and operating cost at federally funded health centers. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2012; 308(1):60-66.
- Peek ME, Wilson SC, Bussey-Jones J, Lypson ML, Cordasco K, Jacobs EA, Bright C, Brown AF. A Study of National Physician Organizations’ Efforts to Reduce Racial/Ethnic Disparities in the U.S. Acad Med. 2012;87(6):694-700.
- Baig AA, Locklin CA, Wilkes AE, Oborski DD, Acevedo JC, Gorawara-Bhat R, Quinn MT, Burnet DL, Chin MH. Integrating Diabetes Self-Management Interventions for Mexican-Americans into the Catholic Church Setting. J Relig Health. 2012 Apr 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Baig AA, Ryan GW, Rodriguez MA. Provider barriers and facilitators to screening for intimate partner violence in Bogotá, Colombia. Health Care Women Int. 2012 Mar;33(3):250-61.
- Laiteerapong N, Karter AJ, Liu JY, Moffet HH, Sudore R, Schillinger D, John PM, Huang ES. Correlates of quality of life in older adults with diabetes: The Diabetes & Aging Study. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34(8):1749-53.
- Laiteerapong N, Naylor KB, Yang VL, Keh CE, Vinci LM, Oyler JL, Arora VM. A resident-led quality improvement initiative to improve obesity screening. Am J Med Qual 2011. 26(4):315-22.
- Peek ME, Nunez-Smith M, Drum M, Lewis TA. Adapting the Everyday Discrimination Scale to Medical Settings: Reliability and Validity Testing in a Sample of African-American Patients. Ethn Dis. 2011;21(4):502-9.
- Burnet DL, Plaut AJ, Wolf SA, Huo D, Solomon MC, Dekayie G, Quinn MT, Lipton R, Chin MH. Reach-Out: pilot study of a family-based diabetes prevention program for African American youth. J Nat Med Assoc 2011; 103:269-277.
- Peek ME, Tang H, Cargill A, Chin MH. Are there racial differences in patients’ shared decision-making preferences and behaviors among patients with diabetes? Medical Decision Making. 2011;31(3):422 – 431.
- Greeley SAW, John P, Winn A, Ornelas J, Lipton RB, Bell GI, Philipson LH, Huang ES. The cost-effectiveness of personalized genetic medicine: the case of genetic testing in neonatal diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34:622-627.
- Laiteerapong N, Huang ES, Chin MH. Prioritization of care in adults with diabetes and comorbidity. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2011; 1243(1):69-87.
- Huang ES, Liu JY, Moffet HH, John PM, Karter AJ. Glycemic Control, Complications, and Death in Older Diabetic Patients: The Diabetes & Aging Study. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34(6):1329-1336.
- Monay V, Mangione CM, Sorrell A, Baig AA. “A Description of Services Deliver by Faith-Based Community Nurses to Individuals with Elevated Blood Pressure.” Public Health Nurs. 2010 Nov-Dec;27(6):537-43.
- Chou CH, Reed SD, Allsbrook JS, Steele JL, Schulman KA, Alexander MJ. Costs of vasospasm in patients with aneurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurgery. 2010; 67(2): 345-52.
- Huang ES, Karter AJ, Danielson KK, Warton M, Ahmed AT. The association between the number of prescription medications and incident falls in a multi-ethnic population of adult type 2 diabetes patients: the Diabetes and Aging Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25(2): 141-146.
- Tartaglia K, Press VG, Freed B, Baker T, Tang JW, Kleczek J, Laiteerapong N, Schwartz M, Arora VM. The Neighborhood Health Exchange: developing a community partnership in residency. J Grad Med Educ 2010; 2(3): 456-461.
- Huang ES, O’Grady M, Basu A, Winn A, John P, Lee J, Meltzer DO. The cost-effectiveness of continuous glucose monitoring in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2010; 33(6): 1269-1274.
- Baig AA, Wilkes A, Davis, A, Peek M, Huang E, Bell D, Chin M. “Reducing Racial Disparities in Diabetes Using QI and HIT Approaches.” Med Care Res Rev.2010 Oct;67(5 Suppl):163S-197S.
- Baig AA, Escarce JJ. “Diagnosing Diabetes in Disadvantaged Populations: The Role of Social Networks.” J Health Serv Res Policy. 2010 Oct;15(4):223-8
- Laiteerapong N, Huang ES. Health care reform and chronic diseases: Anticipating the health consequences. JAMA 2010;304(8):899-900.
- Baig AA, Mangione CM, Sorrell A, Miranda J. “A Randomized Intervention Trial Assessing the Benefit of Church-based Nurse Referrals versus Telephone-assisted Physician Appointments on Systolic Blood Pressure For Health Fair Participants.” Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2010:25(7):701-9.
- Huang ES, John P, Munshi MA. Multidisciplinary approach for the treatment of diabetes in the elderly. Aging Health. 2009; 5(2): 207-216.
- Tang JW, Freed B, Baker T, Kleczek J, Tartaglia K, Laiteerapong N, Press VG, Schwartz M, Arora VM. Internal medicine residents’ comfort with and frequency of providing dietary counseling to diabetic patients. J Gen Intern Med 2009;24(10):1140-3.
- Huang ES, Basu A, O’Grady M, Capretta J. Projecting the future diabetes population size and related costs for the United States. Diabetes Care. 2009; 32:2225-2229.
- Huang ES, Basu A, O’Grady MJ, Capretta J. Using clinical information to project federal health care spending: how Congress could use a diabetes spending projection model to help inform budget decisions. Health Affairs. 2009; 28(5):w978–90.
- Peek ME, Wilson SC, Gorawara-Bhat R, Quinn MT, Odoms-Young A, Chin MH. Barriers and facilitators to Shared Decision-Making among African-Americans with Diabetes. J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24:1135-9.
- Diana MA, Chou CH, Hammill BG, Graham FL, Schulman KA, Telen MJ, Reed SD. Outcomes of inpatients with and without sickle cell disease after high-volume surgical procedures. American Journal of Hematology. 2009; 84(11).
- Huang ES, Brown SES, Thakur N, Carlisle L, Foley EC, Ewigman BG, Meltzer DO. Racial/ethnic differences in concerns about current and future medications among patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2009; 32(2):311-6.
- Huang ES, Gandra N, Zhang Q, Chin MH, Meltzer DO. The effect of functional status and comorbid illness on the expected benefits of intensive glucose control in older people with type 2 diabetes: a decision analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149(1): 11-19.
- Burnet D, Plaut A, Ossowski K, Ahmad A, Quinn M, Radovick S, Chin MH. Community and family perspectives on addressing overweight in African-American youth. J Gen Intern Med 2008; 23:175-179.
- Peek ME, Alexander C, Chin MH. National prevalence of lifestyle counseling or referral among African Americans and whites with diabetes. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:1858-64.
- Baig AA, Heisler M. “The Influence of Patient Race and Socioeconomic Status and Resident Physician Gender and Specialty on Preventive Screening.” Semin Med Pract. 2008;11:27-35.
- Huang ES, Zhang Q, Brown SES, Drum ML, Meltzer DO,Chin MH. The cost-effectiveness of improving diabetes care in U.S. federally-qualified community health centers. Health Services Research. 2007; 42(6 Part 1):2174-2193.
- Chin MH, Walters AE, Cook SC, Huang ES. Interventions to reduce racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Med Care Res Rev 2007; 64:7S-28S.
- Peek ME. An Innovative Partnership to Address Breast Cancer Screening among Vulnerable Populations. Educ Health. 2007;20(2):52.
- Huang ES, Jin L, Shook M, Chin MH, Meltzer DO. The impact of patient preferences on the cost-effectiveness of intensive glucose control in older patients with new onset diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006; 29(2):259-264.
- Baig AA, Shadigian E, Heisler M. “Hidden from Plain Sight: Residents’ Domestic Violence Screening Attitudes and Reported Practices.” Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2006; 21:949-54.